- 2 onions , sliced
- thumb-size piece fresh root ginger , grated
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 400ml can chopped tomatoes in rich juice
- 100g creamed coconut , chopped
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 green chilli , halved, deseeded and sliced at an angle
- 3 x 200g bags large, raw, peeled prawn , thawed if frozen, drained
- handful chopped coriander
- juice 1 lemon
- Fry the onions, ginger and garlic in the oil for about 10 mins. Stir in the turmeric and coriander, then fry for 1 min more. Tip the mixture into a blender with the tomatoes and creamed coconut, then blend to a purée.
- Return to the pan with 300ml water, the chutney, chilli and pepper and simmer for 10 mins. You can freeze it at this stage.
- Stir in the prawns and cook for a few mins more until they turn pink – take care not to overcook them or they’ll become tough. Add the coriander, then season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice just before serving.